Golfer's Guide To Portugal: 7 Things To Know About Luna Olympus
Vilamoura has become one of the top destinations for those wishing to play golf with the sun on their backs yet not really wanting to fly a huge distance. The Algarve in Portugal is no more than 3 hours away from many regional population centres with Faro, the local airport, accepting flights year round. While the high season is summer, the climate in this part of Portugal is pleasant at any time. There’s plenty to do when golfers have finished their rounds, especially for those selecting a base that offers good local nightlife. In the case of Luna Olympus guests can expect:
- A short walk to the Casino and Vilamoura Marina, bars and restaurants.
- Beaches minutes away.
- Recently refurbished apartments, fully equipped for self-catering.
- Shuttle services to the local golf courses.
- Swimming pools for adults and children.
- Airport shuttle services.
- Laundry and maid service.
These facilities back up the quality of the golf courses that are so close at hand.
- The Old Course was the first in Vilamoura and opened over 40 years ago. Anyone standing on the elevated first tee will be motivated to play well.
- Pinhal was the second of the courses. It has been modified since it was first opened 40 years ago to reflect the fact that golfers are hitting the ball further. It is tree lined however so length is not everything.
- Laguna is not quite as tight as the first two but its protection is water so golfers are advised to carry a few extra balls.
- Millennium is another that for the most part is fairly open though there is a tree lined section. It is not particularly long which some golfers find a relief.
- Arnold Palmer designed Victoria which has become the main Championship Course in Vilamoura though Vila Sol has held the Portuguese Open in recent years.
Getting an apartment backed up with catering facilities and guest services is an ideal way to organise a golf holiday. Courses can be booked in advance and places like Luna Olympus which will not only arrange airport transfers but shuttles to the various courses make any holiday hassle-free. The only worry is the quality of golf that is played. Everyone wants to enjoy their time on the course and that means selecting a balance between championship and less demanding courses. First time visitors to Portugal that decide to come here may well come again.